06 February 2012

Sometimes the Traffic goes to 11

Having moved to LA from cities that have solid public transportation (e.g. San Fran, NYC), it has been a challenge to wrap my head around the fact that the only transportation options in this city are: 
1.  Drive with a high risk of traffic and/or the need to limit myself to one Amstel Light
2.  Extremely expensive cabs
3.  Biking (which is great around the Westside, but of limited use given the endless sprawl of LA)


There is a subway somewhere in this city, but no one I know has ever taken it because the geography doesn't work.  As for why that is, some believe it stems back to a conspiracy by the car companies, their desire to make LA the cradle of automotive culture and a systematic destruction of the city's light rail lines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy


Whatever the history, LA's traffic is for real and I learned early on that traffic is a BIG topic of conversation.  Where you go, when you go and, indeed, whether you go at all, are often decided by traffic and the time of day.  Google Maps traffic is a must and it was an eyeopener to learn that their traffic rating can go beyond red.  Like the Spinal Tap amp that goes to 11, Google Maps traffic in LA can go to BLACK.  Which apparently means full stop.  If you do brave the roads, it seems standard upon arrival to discuss the traffic you experienced, detail the route you chose and then debate with others whether it would've been better to take, say, Motor or the Imperial Highway or some other obscure roads that I haven't found yet.    


Given all of the above, the car is an important character in LA.  There is an awesome array of vintage cars and countless exotics like Ferraris and Maseratis (see the counter on the right).  Porsches are so commonplace that it would almost be embarrassing to drive one.  Fear not, however, for the Shiny Grey dynamic exists in carworld too.  By far the most common car in my neighborhood is the Cooper Mini and I typically see 4 or 5 of them within 2 blocks of my house.  And the Mini is, of course, a shiny take on a grey old classic from the 1960s:


And I don't know if this Delorean is shiny or grey or neither, but it is a few blocks from my house.  I wish I knew what the vanity plate meant.  I used the Google on a hunch that the plate was a reference to the # of kilos that Delorean got caught smuggling, but that wasn't right.


Which leads me to the vanity plates.  The Bible, which is chockful of quotable nuggets, reminds us that "All is Vanity".  And when LA's (justified) reputation for vanity meets LA's (justified) reputation for car culture, one finds vanity plates.  Which are disproportionately represented here.  I am lukewarm on vanity plates in general, but at least some can get a chuckle out of me.  The ones that annoy me are those that fall on the tough guy and/or self-aggrandizing part of the spectrum.  I haven't seen many clever ones yet.  A smattering of what I've seen so far:
M2 FAST 4U (white BMW, I think M series)
SHOE GIRL  (Mini)
SEXY FIT (Mini) 
GD HANS (BMW)
LIL EAGL (Porsche)
985BHJKK  (Ford)


P.S.  Of course, the time may come when I too get a vanity plate.  Because what could be a better than a pimped out brown and yellow 70s El Camino with a plate that says FNGRBNGNG?


UPDATE.
Ari Pomerantz nailed it.  As did Bo in the comments.




1 comment:

  1. Dude! You don't know what that plate means!? 1.21 gigawatts!!!

    ReplyDelete